Bago from Yangon: Day Trip
Tour Code: YDT_3
WHAT TO EXPECT ~
Leaving at 8:30 AM, travel just 1.5 hours north to Bago, one of Myanmar’s ancient capitals and a real treat for those who want to experience the look and feel of a forgotten era. Among the high density of treasure-filled temples and golden Buddhas, you will find the famous Shwe Maw Daw Pagoda, credited as being the tallest pagoda in Myanmar. Although it has been through many renovations due to several earthquakes, some of the original structure from the 10th century is still present today. Continue on to see the Shwe Tha lyaung reclining Buddha, lost for hundreds of years before being re-discovered by an English railway contractor in 1881.
Bago Market is definitely worth a stop, even if you’re not looking to buy anything; walking through the market, you will see fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, and other local products being sold. Afterwards, visit Kanbawzathadi Golden Palace, which was built in the second half of the 16th century. Here, it’s easy to notice the old splendor and wealth of the Second Burmese Empire.
After lunch at one of the best local restaurants, return to Yangon, stopping on the way at the famous WWII Taukkyan War Cemetery. Hear stories about the combatants and learn about this piece of history. Relax on a transfer back to your hotel in Yangon.
INCLUSIONS & EXCULSIONS ~
Inclusive of ~
- professional English speaking tour guide
- sightseeing tour by air-conditioned private vehicle
- hotel pickup and drop off
- mineral water bottles
Not Inclusive of ~
- entrance fees, approx. AUD $10 per person for an entire trip
- meals not specified in the “Inclusions” section
- personal insurance and other personal expense
- approximately 10 hrs
PICKUP INFORMATION ~
- Pick up time: Approximately 8:30am
- Please be at the hotel lobby to meet with your tour guide as per the scheduled departure.
INSIDER TIPS ~
- Don’t forget to bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ~
- Additional surcharge will apply if the hotel is outside of Yangon city.
- Additional surcharge will apply if pick up and drop off is from the highway bus station, seaport, and airport.
- Children aged 0-2 are free.
- Ladies are required to cover up to enter the temples. Please wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt or bring something to wrap around you.
Don’t forget you can modify this tour. Whether you enjoy travelling as a part of a small group with other like-minded travellers, or perhaps you are looking for your very own private journey, we have the right option for you. Click on talk to us button to send us your enquiry.