The Ruins of Kyauk Se and Paleik
Tour Code: MDT_7
WHAT TO EXPECT ~
Outside Mandalay are two incredible architectural sites: Kyauk Se, home to the Shinpin Tamoke Shwegu, and the vine-shrouded temples of Paleik.
For architecture and archaeology lovers, at day exploring the ruins of Kyauk Se and Paleik is the perfect way to get off the beaten track.
One of nine temples built by King Anawratha in the 11th century, the Shinpin Tamoke Shwegu site was abandoned in the 13th century. In 2009 more than 8,000 volunteers helped to excavate the site, unearthing intricate stucco carvings untouched by time – the only place besides Bagan to see such decoration.
Most visitors to Paleik, meanwhile, come to see its famous snake temple – but the real attraction lies in the countryside beyond the town, where more than 300 temples from the 14th century lie long-abandoned, covered in ivy and connected by dirt paths.
Highlights of the tour:
- Leave the other tourists behind and discover some of Mandalay’s best kept archaeological secrets
- Come face to face with large pythons at Hmwe Paya
- Stroll through the sleepy settlement of Paleik whilst learning about the town’s history, local industry and the overlooked collection of ancient stupas.
- Enjoy a local lunch in the lively town of Kyauk Se
- Lay eyes on a one-thousand-year-old temple that was rediscovered in 1993
- Stop at Shin Pin Set Thwar to pay respects to one of the most unique Buddha images in the country
INCLUSIONS & EXCULSIONS ~
Inclusive of ~
- professional English speaking tour guide
- sightseeing tour by air-conditioned private vehicle
- entrance fees for sights described
- hotel pickup and drop off
- mineral water bottles
Not Inclusive of ~
- meals not specified in the “Inclusions” section
- personal insurance and other personal expense
- approximately 10 hrs
PICKUP INFORMATION ~
- Pick up time: Approximately 9:00am
- Please be at the hotel lobby to meet with your tour guide as per the scheduled departure.
INSIDER TIPS ~
- Don’t forget to bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ~
- Additional surcharge will apply if the hotel is outside of Mandalay city.
- Additional surcharge will apply if pick up and drop off is from the highway bus station, port, and airport.
- Children aged 0-2 are free.
- Ladies are required to cover up to enter the temples. Please wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt or bring something to wrap around you.
Don’t forget you can modify this tour. Whether you enjoy travelling as a part of a small group with other like-minded travellers, or perhaps you are looking for your very own private journey, we have the right option for you. Click on talk to us button to send us your enquiry.