Wishing Grounds: Shwe Bo & Kyauk Myaung
Tour Code: MDT_8
WHAT TO EXPECT ~
You’ll be picked up at your hotel at 8:00AM. Head towards Shwe Bo and Kyauk Myaung. Reach the former capital of Shwe Bo after 2.5 hours, passing through rural villages and crossing the Irrawaddy River along the way. Upon arrival, begin with a visit to the main local market. Shwe Bo is a major agricultural trading town with beans, rice and sesame being grown in the surrounding plains; the market, therefore, is a hub of activity.
Continue with a visit to Maw Daw Myi Thar Pagoda, one of the most venerated pagodas in all of Myanmar. Located on Eindathaya Hill, this pagoda is taller than Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon and is gilded in gold. Afterwards, visit a small British war cemetery of soldiers killed during pacification campaigns near Shwebo.
Afterwards, visit the ‘wishing grounds’, an auspicious spot believed to have been used by King Alaungpaya as a gathering point before battles. The locals come here to make offerings in hopes their wishes will come true. At noon, a stop will be made at a local restaurant for lunch at your own expense.
Continue to Kyauk Myaung, a small town 27 km east of Shwe Bo that is famous for its glazed pottery including large Martaban Jars. These jars are used as containers to hold water, cooking oil and rice that are seen throughout Myanmar. A visit will be made to a pottery workshop followed by a trip to the Irrawaddy river bank to see how the pots are transported down river.
After the visit, make the return drive to Mandalay, arriving late in the afternoon. The tour ends with a safe drop off at your hotel.
INCLUSIONS & EXCULSIONS ~
Inclusive of ~
- professional English speaking tour guide
- sightseeing tour by air-conditioned private vehicle
- entrance fees for sights described
- hotel pickup and drop off
- mineral water bottles
Not Inclusive of ~
- meals not specified in the “Inclusions” section
- personal insurance and other personal expense
- approximately 10 hrs
PICKUP INFORMATION ~
- Pick up time: Approximately 8:00am
- Please be at the hotel lobby to meet with your tour guide as per the scheduled departure.
INSIDER TIPS ~
- Don’t forget to bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ~
- Additional surcharge will apply if the hotel is outside of Mandalay city.
- Additional surcharge will apply if pick up and drop off is from the highway bus station, port, and airport.
- Children aged 0-2 are free.
- Ladies are required to cover up to enter the temples. Please wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt or bring something to wrap around you.
Don’t forget you can modify this tour. Whether you enjoy travelling as a part of a small group with other like-minded travellers, or perhaps you are looking for your very own private journey, we have the right option for you. Click on talk to us button to send us your enquiry.